The National Association of Realtors honors September as Realtor Safety Month. This month is dedicated to informing agents, as well as the public, on practices ensuring the home-buying process is as smooth and safe as possible.
Due to the unique nature of a realtor’s work, they are faced with the daunting task of meeting strangers on a daily basis. While closing deals is always at the forefront of any good agent’s mind, so should their own personal safety and the safety of their clients.
Here are seven useful tips realtors can use to remain safe at work:
1. Invite potential clients to your office, so your first interaction is in a location that is public and comfortable for both of you.
2. Ask your visitors for photo ID, and make-sure they are signing-in through the visitor log book. This ensures you can have their contact information for later!
3. Maintain a balance between your work life and personal life. For example, creating unique social media accounts for your business not only helps with your safety, but it keeps you organized as well!
4. Use the “10 second rule”. Check your surroundings to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.
5. Leave the front door unlocked to help you make a quick exit if necessary.
6. Always let the client enter each room first. Not only does this let them evaluate the room on their own, but keeps any potential danger within your line of sight.
7. Carry a self-defense tool, such as a TASER self-defense tool, as a last line of defense. You never know if a dangerous person will be at a vacant property, and this will help to keep you safe, while giving you enough time to escape!
Realtors must meet face-to-face with dozens of potential new clients on a weekly basis, so safety must not be overlooked. TASER weapons provide added comfort when dealing with clients, and are legal to own in 45 states, as well as Puerto Rico and Guam.
Share this with your favorite realtor, or someone who could benefit from the added safety a TASER self-defense tool provides!