Summer is all about sunshine, warm temperatures and having fun in the great outdoors. Of course, that summer weather we all love so much can also produce some pretty crazy weather, like hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, wildfires and even dust storms. That’s why it’s always a good idea to be prepared for an emergency before it happens.
Think about it this way. If you’re going to the beach, you prepare by having sunscreen, towels, drinks, snacks, aloe and a change of clothes—everything you need so you can focus on just having fun. Preparing for emergencies is very similar. Just think about all the things you might need, and make sure you have it all ready to go.
Of course, you can’t necessarily plan for every possible disaster, but by prepping a few basics, you should be covered for most scenarios.
Make sure to consider your whole household when stocking up on the basics.
· Bottled water or water purifier
· 3-day supply of non-perishable food (tip: don’t just grab a bunch of snacks; snag some cans of tuna, soup, beans, and other meal substitutes)
· Pet food
· First aid kit
· Clothing essentials
· Non-prescription medications (like Tylenol or allergy medicine)
· Cash or traveler’s checks
· Battery-powered radio
· Phone chargers
· Extra batteries
Certain disasters may require you to evacuate your home. Of course, while you hope to return safe and sound, emergencies like floods or wildfires could cause irreversible damage. Make sure you have copies of important documents either stored electronically or in your emergency supplies.
· Birth certificates
· Social Security cards
· House deed
Other Things to Think About
Besides having supplies, make sure you and your household or family have a plan for what to do in the event of a local emergency, especially if you’re not together.
· As a group, discuss how to prepare and respond to the types of emergencies that are most likely to happen where you live.
· Designate a meeting place both at your home and outside your neighborhood
· Know the routes out of town in case of evacuation
· Choose an out-of-town emergency contact
· Know where the shelters are in your town
· Safety and personal protection – stay safe in any situation with the small and portable TASER Pulse+ or the TASER StrikeLight flashlight/stun gun combo
Prepare, Don’t Panic
Being prepared isn’t about expecting the worst. It’s about knowing exactly what to do if the time comes, so you can act quickly, calmly and decisively. Make your planning a group or family affair and go over your plans every once in a while to keep it fresh.
With a plan in place, you’ll have peace of mind to really enjoy your summer and make the most out of every moment.
TASER, Pulse, and Strikelight are trademarks of Axon Enterprise, Inc., some of which may be registered in the US and other countries. For more information, visit www.axon.com/legal. All rights reserved © 2020 Axon Enterprise, Inc.