June is National Safety Month, and it’s gotten us thinking a lot about the saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." In our lives, we tend to focus on the big threats and how we can prevent or at least minimize them from affecting us. But how often do we think about the little things we could be doing to every day to keep ourselves safe?
If you really stop to think about what this saying means, you might be surprised by how many situations in life – both big and small – it can apply to. For example, taking just a few minutes to apply sunscreen can save you from a painful (and potentially dangerous) sunburn. We know this, and yet we’re all too happy to run out to the pool or the beach without this basic protection.
So for this National Safety Month, the TASER team encourages you to think about some of the protections you can take in your everyday life.
- Wear your seatbelt– over 50% of car accidents happen within 5 miles of home. So even if you’re just making a quick run to the corner store, buckle up!
- Wash your hands– The COVID-19 pandemic reminded us of the importance of washing your hands correctly and frequently. Looking beyond this virus, handwashing is just a good all-around practice for keeping yourself and everyone else safe and healthy. Remember your favorite 20-second handwashing ditty, and keep your new lathering habit going.
- Wear reflective gear when exercising outdoors – Even in broad daylight, it’s a good idea to make yourself as visible as possible when you go out for a walk, run or bike ride. Bonus tip: make sure to wear your helmet when biking!
- Use all your senses – There’s nothing like a good podcast or high-energy jam when you’re out and about. But it does place you at a bit of a disadvantage. We recommend leaving one ear bud out so you can stay alert for traffic, wildlife or other sounds.
- Always have a plan – Sometimes that ounce of prevention means looking ahead and planning for what could happen. Maybe that’s a safe word you and friends use for a night out. Maybe it’s designating a meeting spot in case you get lost at an amusement park. Or it could be preparing an evacuation route in case of a natural disaster. Create a plan, rehearse it, and you’ll be ready to put it into action instantly if the time comes.
- Learn how to defend yourself – Self-defense isn’t about living in fear. It’s about being confident in how you will respond should a dangerous situation happen. From taking self-defense courses to purchasing and training with a portable TASER Pulse+ or Strikelight, this is one ounce of preparation that will be well-worth the effort.
These are just a few sometimes-overlooked ways you can add a little extra safety to your life. This month, we encourage you to think about other precautions you could be taking to make things that much more safe for you and those around you.
And of course, don’t forget to wear sunscreen.
TASER, Pulse+, StrikeLight, The Lightning Club, and the "Bolt within Circle" logo are trademarks of Axon enterprise, Inc., some of which are registered in the United States and other countries. For more information, visit www.axon.com/legal. All rights reserved. © 2019 Axon Enterprise, Inc.
TASER is a trademarks of Axon Enterprise, Inc., some of which are registered in the US and other countries. For more information, visit www.axon.com/legal. All rights reserved. © 2020 Axon Enterprise, Inc.
Facebook is a trademark of Facebook, Inc., and Instagram is a trademark of Instagram, LLC.