June is National Safety Month, and this month we’re bringing the safety conversation to you by talking to our civilian TASER trainers and asking them to share their tips for personal safety.
This week, we spoke to Denny Chapman, owner and operator of Florida TASER Training. Denny is an Authorized TASER Civilian Product Dealer and Certified Civilian TASER Trainer, specializing in the Pulse+ and StrikeLight products. Denny is a former Law Enforcement Officer, Media Host and Professional Mounted Shooting competitor. He has served as host of GunTV and was a cast member of History Channel’s Top Shot. Denny is also an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor/Chief Range Safety Officer with more than 30 years of firearms competition, self-defense and teaching experience. His areas of specialty include self-defense, firearms and TASER device instruction, and mounted shooting.
As a former law enforcement officer, I learned the value of less-than-lethal self defense tools and enjoy empowering people with TASER Self-Defense devices and education as a certified trainer. Developing situational awareness is my number one self defense tip.
My top 5 safety tips:
1. Situational Awareness. Pay attention to your surroundings and avoid distractions. Plan escape routes and be aware of doorways, entrances and exits in buildings and rooms you may have to enter.
2. Choose your ground. Avoid dark or unpopulated areas. Well-lit, public areas are always safer. If you must travel in a dark environment, keep your TASER StrikeLight handy.
3. Choose “smart” self-defense devices and train with them. The Noonlight app with the TASER Pulse+ can be life-saving technology.
4. Keep your self defense device with you at all times. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
5. Stay healthy and in shape. Make your personal safety and that of your loved ones a priority and make sure you are physically able to provide protection that may be required by a self defense situation.
I believe the TASER Pulse+ device is the perfect self defense solution for someone who is not comfortable carrying a firearm. I’ve given many concealed carry prep classes and heard students say they’re not sure they could use a firearm if their life was in danger, but, when asked, 100% of them felt they would not hesitate with a less-than-lethal device. Many of those students went on to take the TASER Pulse+ course with me and now carry the device as their primary self defense tool.
To learn more about Denny or civilian TASER device training, visit his website or follow him on social media.
NoNoonlight is a trademark of Noonlight, Inc. TASER, Pulse+, and StrikeLight are trademarks of Axon Enterprise, Inc., some of which may be registered in the US and other countries. For more information, visit www.axon.com/legal. All rights reserved © 2020 Axon Enterprise, Inc.
The views and opinions expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Axon Enterprise, Inc.