It is an unfortunate fact that certain crime rates spike during the holidays. According to Dr. Janet Lauritsen who referenced the National Crime Victimization Survey in a Vice interview, robbery and personal larceny increase by approximately 20-percent during the month of December. With store hours extending late into the night, many consumers will be walking through parking lots later in the evening. TASER Self-Defense and Krav Maga Worldwide have partnered to provide tips so shoppers can be safe as they celebrate the season:
Quick Tips to Shop Safely
- Consider where you park– Park in a well-lit area or near the entrance of your location. Snap a picture or make a note of your floor and spot so that there’s no confusion when you are returning to your car.
- Stash the cash at home– Pick-pocketers are on the lookout more than normal on Black Friday and you don’t want to be an obvious target. Keep cash in a zippered pocket in a hard to reach area of your body or opt to use a credit card if possible.
- Lighten your load– Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It’s important to be able to see where you’re going. If you must leave packages in your car, lock them in the trunk.
- Check your sleigh– Be aware of your surroundings and make sure you don’t have any unwanted passengers hanging out around your car before heading home.
- Prevent home delivery problems - If you are doing your holiday shopping online, take steps to make sure deliveries don’t pile up outside your front door. Unattended packages are easy targets for thieves. If possible, try to schedule deliveries for days and times that you or a neighbor will be home or close by. It’s always a good idea to have home security measures in place, like fences or cameras, that can be deterrents to people looking to snatch packages.
- Protect yourself– Purchase a personal safety deviceand invest time into your safety plan. Attend courses at a certified Krav Maga Worldwide training center to learn practical self-defense in real-world situations. Stun guns or TASER devices can help you feel confident, empowered and protected. These devices can fit inside a purse, bag or backpack and help keep you prepared.
Facebook is a trademark of Facebook, Inc., and Instagram is a trademark of Instagram, LLC.